April 21, 2021

April book club + bonus book

Here's the details on our April book club (a bit late) and our next book!


March pick / April discussion 

By Amanda Wen
Christian fiction
☆☆☆

This is Amanda Wen's first book, set in Sedgwick County, Kansas. Some of the characters are loosely based on her pioneer ancestors. 

The story flips between current day characters Sloane Kelley and Garrett Anderson, and nineteenth century pioneer Annabelle Collins, whose diaries Garrett found while cleaning out his grandmother's old farmhouse. 

I enjoyed the storyline, especially Annabelle's diaries. The romance between Sloane and Garrett was rather distracting and at times cringey.

Overall Roots of Wood and Stone is a quick, easy read. I seldom read Christian fiction, so this was a different genre to explore. And that's one of the reasons to be in a book club! 

I look forward to our discussions every month. It's always refreshing and fun to get together for some quality book-discussing time!



Camille picked The Happiness Project for our next book. I loved it when I listened to it, and I'm expecting it will take a while to read a hard copy because I'll be highlighting and taking notes every other paragraph! It's something I wanted to do anyway, so this gives me a deadline.


Now, a bonus book.



By Peter Mayle
Nonfiction 
☆☆☆☆☆

After seeing A Year in Provence recommended by another blogger, I listened to it on my day off. Not a long story, but absolutely brimming with warmth, humor, and food. It's next best to actually traveling to France! The author has a wonderful sense of humor, and hearing him read the book made it even more impressive. Also? A brilliant first line.

"The year began with lunch." 

It perfectly sets the stage for what's to come. 5 stars!

11 comments:

  1. A Year in Provence piques my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy... some of my friends and I read a chapter a month out of “The Happiness Project” then would get together and discuss over coffee ☕️ There are parts of it we still quote to each other 📚

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always glad when I find a fellow Peter Mayle lover!! He is one if my all time favorites. I've read his series two or three times and listened to a couple of his books. I agree about listening to him read them - it adds charm to the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. more info

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this case you will begin it is important, it again produces a web site a strong significant internet site: click here

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a similar interest this is my page read everything carefully and let me know what you think. houstonembroideryservice.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. On this subject internet page, you'll see my best information, be sure to look over this level of detail. check this site

    ReplyDelete
  8. In this particular article, you will see a summary, satisfy browse this post. website

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can nicely write on similar topics! Welcome to here you'll find out how it should look. houston embroidery service

    ReplyDelete