September 18, 2022

Weekly Journal Volume 3


Monday September 12
A relaxing weekend should have given me lots of pep for Monday morning, no? But that's not how it worked. Snoozed my early alarm and skipped exercise. Once I got up I realized it was a very bad decision. I'd forgotten about some GA work that really had to get done before school, but thankfully still had enough time to get it done. Squeezed in 2 loads of wash but didn't have time for breakfast. Felt the need for caffeine, so swung through Dunkin for an iced pumpkin spice latte. (Don't put me in the pumpkin spice fanatic category, though. I only got it because there was a deal.) Not such a great start to the day. Plus it was cloudy. I soon felt brighter after spending time with the school children, though! When the school day was over, I started tackling the backlog of GA work. Leftovers for supper. Didn't get as much work done as I would've liked, but decided to quit so that I can get up early tomorrow. I see I need a better routine. Working in the evening is too much stimulation for my brain and I can't relax when it's time to sleep. Cliff worked in the basement and Jace came over to use the flight simulator. 

Tuesday September 13
Rode the indoor bike and fixed myself fried egg over toast for breakfast. Monthly staff meeting was at 8:15 but I didn't make it to the office in time so watched/listened via Teams on my way in. Started chipping away at the pile of bookkeeping that has somehow accumulated since last week. The question for today's bookkeeping meeting was "Not counting your phone app, texting apps, calendar app, email app, browser app, or Google maps, what is one other app you would hang onto if you could only have 7 apps on your smartphone? Weather was a popular choice and a few others chose audiobook apps (Libby, Scribd, Overdrive, Hoopla) like I did. Took a quick lunch break while driving client deposits to the bank. Soon it was time to leave for Derek & Camille's gender reveal! Quickly pulled into Sam's for gas and prescription pickup on the way to the flying field where we were told to meet. It was a lovely day and evening, perfect for the occasion. Folks, Charles's, Carson & Kia and Cliff & I were the observers. Derek tied smoke bombs to his RC plane and flew around until the smoke came out blue!! 💙 Incidentally, a majority of us had guessed it would be a boy. Afterwards we all headed to Derek's for a scrumptious supper of chicken and steak fajitas, black beans, rice, chips and salsa, and French silk dessert. Looking forward to my one day at home this week - tomorrow! 

Wednesday September 14
Took my time getting up this morning, looked for bulletin board ideas and spent too much time procrastinating on my phone. Did a load of wash and put in an hour at work before getting ready to go on a walk. It was so good to get outside again! And this fall weather is superb. Showered, then ran to Ruthie's and Boyer's for a few groceries. Found the cutest little green pumpkins at Ruthie's! Haven't pulled out any fall decor yet, maybe I can manage that this weekend. By the time I had all the little things done it was well nigh to midday. Finally got back to my desk and realized I would not be able to get everything done this week that should be getting done unless I kept the kind of schedule I have no interest in keeping. Asked for help and hopefully I'll be able to handle what's left. Worked a few hours until getting supper ready. Wednesday is the best day for me to cook and I have to make it worthwhile! Made 7 pie pans of hash brown quiche. It freezes beautifully and I like to have it on hand. Blended orange julius to go with it for supper. Early to bed but couldn't get to sleep for a long time. Why is it I have the most energy of the day when it's time to wind down? 😩

Thursday September 15
Got an early start to the day, my brain decided it was time to be wide awake before 4 am. Rode the bike, then put in almost 2 hours at work before getting ready for school. Had an ordinary day there. Mom stopped in for a little to see how the plants she started for my classroom are coming along. They're doing great - I think the cheerful voices of the little people make them happy! My energy level was draining rapidly by the time I got home and I couldn't find the gumption to put in more than 30 minutes at my desk. Finally just lay on the couch and fell asleep until Cliff got home. He headed over to Charles's to look at something on his truck and I Wordled while mustering up the strength to make supper. Got "doubt" in 2 tries!! My stats have been dismal lately so this is surprising. Heated up meatballs in cream sauce that I pulled from the freezer this morning and made potatoes in the Instant Pot. First time I tried that. I could hardly believe 2 minutes would be long enough so I made it 3, they did need longer. But wow, that was super quick and actually pretty tasty! An early bedtime again.

Friday September 16
Just couldn't get enthused about an indoor bike ride this morning. Got up soon after Cliff and put in 30 minutes at my desk, then decided a walk was more necessary than getting work done. Had to wear long sleeves - it was in the 50's! Felt chilly at first, then invigorating. Such a nice time of day to be outside. Hot lunch at school today! The ladies were already there when I arrived. SaraBeth was one of the cooks, so I got Drew and took him in my room until Mariah and Allie came in from recess. He lit up when he saw them and they had big smiles on their faces. 😍 Lunch was baked chicken fingers, macaroni and cheese, Georgia salad and watermelon, jello cake for dessert. Such a classic, tasty combination. Drew hung out with me again while the ladies were cleaning up. I took him with me for 6th grade reading class. He was entertained by watching the upper graders play softball right outside the window and was a cutie. Being an aunt is not overrated! It was a good day at school. Logged in to GA soon after getting home. I do not want to work tomorrow so had to get caught up. Put in a little over 2 hours and finished up just as Cliff got home from looking at Uncle Wade's mower after work. Heated up leftovers, then decided to go check out the 75th annual Oley Fair even though we were tired. It's something we always wanted to do and we're both off tomorrow so why not? It was quite an experience! Some very unique displays of produce, baked & canned goods, farm animals, GIGANTIC pumpkins, and much more.

 
The biggest pumpkin this year was 1,191 pounds. The watermelon display also caught my eye. If I remember correctly, the largest one weighed 160 pounds! The most interesting display was the people, though. I could've sat there for hours observing families, teenagers, and hair styles (the mullet is making a comeback 😄). We thought about getting some food - you can't go to a fair without eating, can you? - but we really weren't hungry and didn't feel like standing in the long lines. Left shortly before closing time at 10:00. 

Saturday September 17
A lazy Saturday morning. Had a hankering for coffee cake but didn't have milk so I sent Cliff to the store. He came back with regular milk AND chocolate milk, plus candy corn. 😆 Eventually had our coffee cake close to noon. I started the wash and paid bills. Dad came to install a new door and I tried to stay out of the way. Felt tired again so took a little nap. Could've done lots of things - wash windows, work outside, make a bulletin for school - but didn't have the want-to. Besides, what is the point of cleaning in the middle of a construction project? The house only got dirtier today, not cleaner. Finally found enough energy to go on a walk in the afternoon. It was nice and warm again. The mornings and evenings have a chill these days. Dealt with all the wash after I got back. Cliff had cleaned up the worst of the construction dirt, bless his heart. It always looks overwhelming to me. We planned to go to Heisler's for food and ice cream with the family this evening. We like to make the 45 minute trip about once a year. It's a beautiful drive, and a very peaceful country location. The mountains are still looking green, not much color yet. We had our hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers, and fries, then we ladies and the kids went on a walk around the mini golf course in the back. Caught up with the men across the road at the driving range, where they were hitting golf balls. Then we were ready for ice cream! Sadly they didn't have waffle cones so I had my 2 scoops of strawberry cheesecake in a regular cone. Very delicious! We sat on benches near the mini golf course eating our ice cream and watching the kids run around. We soon needed jackets as the sun went down. Left before it got full dark, and that was the end of the day.

Sunday September 18
We were invited to Weston & Sharon's for lunch and I was bringing dessert, so got up and made peach crisp. Sam & Anna are back in Fleetwood and just crossed the 50 years married mark, so he preached on marriage this morning. Then there was a wedding announcement of two senior citizens, Sam Zimmerman and Bertha Leid. We were at Weston's with Misses Sensenig, Eicher, and Wedel, Joel & Kaleigh, Mike, and Zach & Kristy. Good food and good company. Took little naps after we got home, then proceeded to finish up the weekend chores. No church tonight. I cleaned the kitchen, did a load of wash, and got out the fall decor. Cliff vacuumed for me. The house feels a little cleaner. Got to bed late - the alarm will come too early tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. Neil tries to tell and show me how "cool" mullets are but I simply cannot see it!! 🙄 80's ugly to me!
    Time to vacuum here as well - my house has been neglected...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing about school and your outings! Sounds like we have the same idea of fun🤩

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW have I missed this loveliness?! I just binge read all three weeks worth! I adore hearing about your interesting life! Keep it up please! 🤓 Sharon Faircloth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried and failed to post a comment from my phone. It seemed to think I should practice restraint in speaking, apparently. Anyway, thanks for the updates! That fall fair sounds delightful; like something I would thoroughly enjoy, but would probably find the homebody glue a little too...well...glue-ish to go. You know, when the week's worth of procrastinated jobs suddenly has to be done before you go anywhere, never minding that they'd hold just fine for another day, and so somehow you find yourself stuck in the glue of home and tomatoes, or something of similar ilk. Kudos to you for going!

    ReplyDelete